Email:

Friday, September 29, 2006

Gospel Illustration

The following is a gospel illustration I saw at Sojourn Community Church in Louisville. I absolutely love it, and I hope you are edified by it also. All Christians need to be aware of the truths it illustrates.

1. We first realize our need for the gospel when we become aware of God's holiness, and our sinfulness. As you can see there is a gap between God and man.
2. We trust that Christ has taken the punishment we deserve for violating God's holiness. The gospel of Christ bridges the gap between us and God.
3. As we grow in our relationship with the Lord we become progressively more aware of how great our sin is and how Holy God is. The gap grows in our understanding.4. Now that the gap is bigger. Therefore, we add our good works to what Christ has done. When we do this, however, we are not relying on Christ alone, and thus we violate the gospel.5. Therefore, as we realize more and more how great our sin is and how holy God is. The gospel must become greater to fill the gap. In this way the work of Christ becomes magnified in the our lives.

4 comments:

Drew Scott said...

That's a beautiful illustration, Isaac. Thanks for sharing it. I like the way it shows works "filling the gaps" in our efforts to add to the work of the cross.

I'm looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Catan on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Heck yeah dood!! I was thinking of posting that too! I loved that Sunday!

Anonymous said...

An excellent illustration that I believe one can only fully understand after having experienced it firsthand. I know that the more I learn about my relationship with God, the more I see my need of Him and my own inability to meet my need.

isaacsumner said...

I might should have written on the post it, "big gospel" rather than "big need for gospel." Oh well.